[linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendations for recording under kernel 2.6/Alsa

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 22 15:17:23 EDT 2004

Hallo,
John Check hat gesagt: // John Check wrote:

> On Sunday 22 August 2004 06:18 am, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > should be able to directly connect the tape to your soundcard,
> > provided is has line-level inputs (most cards do). Personally I just
> > connected my computer to the monitoring Tape2 input/output of my hifi
> > amplifier, so I can also record from a vinyl record player if I want
> > to.  (You cannot directly connect a record player to most soundcards
> > because of RIAA distortion, you need a real phono input.)
> >

> Actually, to use a phono level signal into regular line inputs you can use a
> matching transformer or a preamp

The problem with records is not levels, but the RIAA distortion. You
need a device which can adapt to this. There are special preamps for
this, some cards like the Terratec Phase26 USB has them built in,
normaly hifi amps have them (the input labeled "PHONO" most of the
time), but most soundcards do not have them.

Ciao