[linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendations for recording under kernel 2.6/Alsa

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Mon Aug 23 07:03:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 05:42:27PM +0800, Alexander MacLennan wrote:
> Ah, I was assuming that the I/O was analogue

yes its true that the CMI8738 is not great at analogue. But even
there it has the advantage that it doesnt have the horrendous
resampler that the Creative cards have.

> But for $10US for a card based on these, would the clock be very tight?

doubtful :-)

but i dont imagine they could be bad enough to prevent an spdif lock,
and as long as your D/A has a decent pll to smooth out the jitter,
you should be ok.

according to the block diagram there is a pll in the 8738 to dejitter
the 14MHz clock, which theoretically may give it some immunity to
bad clock implementations, although i have no idea if that makes
any difference in practice.

but i'm no expert, just a happy user :-)

regards
--
Tim Orford