[linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Human Interface Guidelines, 0.01 (was Re: mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface, guidelines)

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 25 02:02:44 EDT 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:

"I could swear I remember seeing an old tube compressor that
had a gain reduction meter with "more" to the right, so it
moved in opposition to the corresponding VU meter.
No idea what model it was, and this was about 6 years ago
so I could be mistaken.

I wonder how consistent this is in the world of hardware?
maybe I'll pop a question on rec.audio.pro."

I built a tube compressor like that, an Altec436c.
The 'gain reduction' meter measures the bias current of the vari-mu
valve, which is reduced when gain reduction is required.
The meter goes from right to left. (Any other way would require more
circuitry, so I think it may just be a lucky accident.)

Talking of meters, don't some phase meters often go left *and* right
from a centre point to show averaged phase difference between the channels?