[linux-audio-user] 2nd harddrive overhead

Alastair Couper kalepa at shaka.com
Thu Aug 26 13:19:55 EDT 2004

I have two hard drives, hda and hdb, both UDMA66. hda has the ext3 root
partition, a swap partition, and a FAT32 partition. hdb just has one
10Meg FAT32 partition.

When I stream a .wav file from the FAT32 partition on hda through say
XMMS, the total system load is very low, just a few percent cpu load.

When I do the same, but from hdb's FAT32 partition, the cpu load hovers
at around 30-50%. What is responsible for all the extra cpu activity in
reading from the 2nd harddrive ?