[linux-audio-user] Any good recommendations for a rugged rack-mount x86 for audio?

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Fri Aug 27 04:27:10 EDT 2004

Howdy, Jos!

> Any recommendations?

I can recommend any SuperMicro system without reservation.  They use passive
CPU cooling with ducted airflow and generally high quality components.  You
have a choice of hot-swap SATA or U320 SCSI, or the usual P-ATA stuff.  They
make a very "shallow" 1U rackmount as well which is 1/2 the depth of normal
1U stuff.

<http://www.supermicro.com/>

SuperServers start at around $425 w/o CPU, RAM, or HDD.  They come with
floppy, cd-rom, dual 100/1000BaseT NICs, USB, and on-board ATI graphics or
Intel EXTREME chips which are well-supported by X11 DRI for 2D acceleration.

You can pickup a barebone SuperMicro Server 5013G-M for about $425, plus
RAM, HDD, and CPU.

<http://www.asaservers.com/product.asp?pf_id=ASA%5F5013G%2DM>

This supports both 400FSB and 533FSB Northwood P4s.  Northwoods run really
cool too.

I've ordered 6 servers from ASA, they've given me excellent service.  Abhi
Shah done rightly by me on numerous occasions.

=MB=

PS: You can get them in an all black finish.

--
A focus on Quality.