[linux-audio-user] Regarding NoteEdit, Finale, and rumor

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Fri Aug 27 21:04:47 EDT 2004

el Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:24:50 -0400
Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> escribió:

> [...] the truth is that I'm not really interested in Finale, I'm
> interested in libre software, [...]
>
>   Would I buy Finale for Linux ? Probably, at least to see what the
> hubbub is all about. Ditto for Cubase or really any other music app that
> would run under my favorite OS, [...]

like dave, i'm not interested in a linux port of finale. what most of us
want, i presume, is good free music notation programs.

for my part, i know for sure i wouldn't buy finale for linux (or cubase or
whatever). for many reasons, to know:

1) i prefer free software
2) 400 or 500 dollars is _a lot_ of money down here in uruguay
3) the few times i bought software were enough to convince me that it's
not only very expensive, it's also the worst spent money. it becomes
obsolete very quickly, and soon you have something useless and your bucks
gone forever.
4) i teach at the public university in uruguay, and as a principle i only
use free tools: i can't expect my students to spend thousands of dollars in
software, they simply can't afford it. (and i know they can easily get
pirated copies, but obviously i can't approve that). so, the gratis part of
"free" is very important here also.

just my 2 drastically devalued pesos...

lj