[linux-audio-user] CCRMA switching to FC2?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sun Aug 29 23:40:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:43 -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 17:58 -0700, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
> > > Checked this out real qwik...
> > >
> > > That's not a bad looking setup. Are you using it at present? What are
> > > it's advantages? Does it have a repository of it's own rpm's or can you
> > > install rpm's from other distro's?  What about kernel packages, etc? Is
> > > the installer in need of a Masters in Comp science?
> >
> > I've only just discovered it a few days ago, burned a copy, and installed it
> > onto a Compaq Presario 2103US of all things.
> >
> > It went smoothly, and came up into an attractive GNOME-ish GUI which ran
> > *VERY* well despite the machine only having 256MB of RAM.  Historically,
> > KDE/DeadRat feels more like M$ Windows XP in terms of bringing powerful
> > machines to their knees unless very amply configured.  But I will concede
> > that my sensitivities to performance issues are probably more than most.
> > GUI/OS responsiveness rates extremely highly for me.  The odd "lags" and
> > choppy scrolling and window-tearing during dragging of Mac OSX for example
> > disqualify it completely, though clearly lots of people don't mind it.
> >
> > I have no horror stories yet.
> >
> > If you can, give it a try.
>
> Finally got this downloaded, burnt and installed on a Dell CPxj 650 P3
> with 256 mb ram.
>
> They sure did a neat job of this...Had a bit of delay with the HD
> formatting but this was no fault of the installer...or should I say the
> Yopers installer! :) Easy install!
>
> So packaging>>>   I'm sadly a victim of Father time. One of the good
> things about Mandrake is the fact that I can install packages built by
> others. Yes, I have to live with their configuration options but that's
> been a price I've been willing to pay. Thac's is usually right on the
> money. I was looking through the Kpackage and SYnaptic interfaces. Is it
> possible we would be able to use Suse packages? Some stuff i will build
> but wonder if other rpm packages might work here too. Of course I'm
> assuming there is no one building DAW apps for Yopers. And what of the
> kernel? I see they are running 2.6.8...but will I have to build my own
> kernels to get RT capabilities?
>
> So far though, this is a neat distro...A single CD install, snappy
> response...lots of Eye candy and light weight!  And many useful apps
> that I see.
>
> R~

Ok...I'm seriously having a torrid fling with this OS!! I think I'm in
lust! :)

After some messing about with packages from Suse, MDK, etc, and with the
use of Kpackage, I have been able to get Jack and Ardour up!  THe crappy
Maestro3 chip in this laptop would, at best, run @ 1024 x 2 on the
2.4.22 kernel...running as root _without_ a patched 2.6.8 kernel in KDE
no less, jack is running @ 512 x 2 with next to no Xruns! I have not
tried recording or playback in Ardour yet but that's.

I'm going to try some more stuff but there are some VERY cool things
about this distro out of the box. Early days but I'm excited!!  :)

R~

--
Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan at starband.net>