Linux/Protools (was: Re: Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Dec 1 07:16:16 EST 2004

Mark Knecht:

> BTW - I truly think that in the next 12-24 months Digi will release
> PTLE for Linux. If they did they solve the hardware support problem
> and have an advantage over anyone using other Linux tools with home
> grown Alsa support. That would be pretty cool. If their normal release
> policies applied then for $75 I'd have a 3rd OS to run on.

What digidesign should do, is to make their own specialized distribution
of linux to run protools with, and set up a list of recommended hardware.
Then they would solve various hardware- and software-issues running
protools on a PC, and they would automatically give back a lot
to the linux-community thru work on the protools linux distribution and
getting a bounchelibounch of new audio linux users.

But perhaps they won't do that, because more people will discover ardour
and won't use protools...