Linux/Protools (was: Re: Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer

Ryan Gallagher ruinaudio at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 12:44:07 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 08:47 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:16:16 +0100 (CET), Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen
> <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:
> >

> > Mark Knecht:
> > >
> > > BTW - I truly think that in the next 12-24 months Digi will release
> > > PTLE for Linux

> > What digidesign should do, is to make their own specialized distribution
> > of linux to run protools

> I agree about rolling their own distro. That makes tons of sense for
> the Pro Market

I'm so sorry to be the one to inject the reality (read: doom and gloom)
here... there's absolutely no way in hell Avid will ever hire/train or
otherwise enlist linux developers to create a whole freaking new
distro.... ever.

They're not in the OS business, and never will be... I was suggesting
the very remote and distant possiblity of a linux-embedded automated
console... not a distro.

I'll bet the house on this one -> DigiDesign will not become a linux
distributor/vendor.

We really should all be throwing our shoulders behind ardour, working to
make a DAW better than PT anyway.  Mark, maybe we should raise the issue
of PTLE interoperability on the ardour-dev list again?  Paul was open to
it when last it came up... it was just disecting that session
format/file standing in the way IIRC.

-ry

--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio at comcast.net>