[linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Thu Dec 2 08:34:48 EST 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> The fact that you can get it to run as root but not as mortal user
> tells us something I guess. When I was going thru my VST nightmares, I
> could not get it to run at all...and I was about to jump from the
> proverbial cliff ! Then Dave Phillips took pity on my feeble,
> whimpering self...a mere shell of a former true man of persistance... :)

Actually, it was just to get Russell to stop complaining... ;-)  (Sorry,
Russell, I couldn't help myself!)...

> -Any vst-in-linux app is heavily reliant on the version of Wine. But
> we know for a fact that 20040505 is a working version. It works on my
> MDK box, and Mark has it working, as do several others here.

I'm using 20031118, an antique version by now.

> -Crystal is one of the definate .dll's that does work of the vst's. So
> does HyperCanvas 1.02. (Not sure if thats what you ultimatley want
> running here?)

Crystal is indeed a very fine synth, I use it frequently. HyperCanvas
works here, but I have to be careful about a few things. I'm not sure if
it's beause my machine is too slow (an 800 MHz Duron), but the synth
will not respond to manual parameter changes while running (they'll
update though when I stop playing), and it's relatively easy to crash
(like if I pick up the window and move it around a lot). Sometimes it
just disappears from the JACXK graph, the MIDI connection is still
there, but the audio connection is completely gone.

The variable performance of VST/VSTi plugins under Linux leads me to
wonder if the Windows APIs aren't somehow very fault tolerant in ways
the WINE guys haven't figured yet.

> Did you do a Winblows install of the vst application? If so, did you
> do it as root and not user? I know a full Win install is not needed
> with for Crystal...but is for Hypercanvas I think.

I do not have a Windows installation on my machine, but I do
adviseinstalling VST plugins by using their installation wizards, i.e.,
not merely dropping the DLL into a directory and calling it done. Some
plugins won't complain about that at all, others are extremely picky
about how they're installed.

> What kernel are you using now?

I'm still on 2.4 here, it appears that 2.6 is "issue-filled"...

Best,

dp