[linux-audio-user] Echo cards on Linux

Andres Cabrera andres at geminiflux.com
Thu Dec 2 09:13:08 EST 2004

Hi,
I'd like to add, concerning the recent discussion on Linux audio drivers
that an alsa driver for the older Echo cards has already been written
(and rewritten in C) by Giuliano Pochini, and though it is reportedly
working, AFAIK it is not yet part of alsa cvs, though Giuliano has
provided very generous support. I have an Echo Mona Laptop which we
haven't been able to get working, though the problem seems to be more a
PCMCIA issue than an alsa driver issue.

I just checked the echo audio page www.echoaudio.com and in the
developer section they have released the generic C++ drivers for the
rest of their card line that was missing (namely the Indigo (PCMCIA)
series and the new 3G (PCI) series), so it should be possible to write
alsa drivers for all Echo cards. We'll have to see what their policy is
regarding drivers with their announced firewire interface.

So here's another high quality option that I don't see much mentioned on
this list.

Cheers,
Andrés

BTW The Echo Mona Laptop has worked excellent for me in Windows.
Excellent quality and extremely reliable and efficient. I tried plugging
a digi 002 rack to my laptop and it was impossible to work with it-so
sluggish, you couldn't do much. Granted, my system is below digi's
recommended specs, but PCMCIA seems to give a much better performance
than firewire.