[linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Thu Dec 2 14:18:05 EST 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

>Here I happen to disagree just a bit. I've talked with folks that boot
>Pro Tools and only turned it off if Windows started acting up. Other
>than that they never see the windows desktop. The screen showed Pro
>Tools for weeks or months and never changed. Close one session, start
>another. the machine is used for NOTHING except Pro Tools.
>
>Pro Tools itself running under Linux would look no different from
>windows in this mode other than possibly path names due to file system
>differences. It's likely the machine would act up less and they'd be
>even less likely to see the Linux desktop. Add to it some ability to
>administer the machine remotely (not a windows option) and the
>high-end pro guys would not care what the OS is. They would hardly
>know.

Sure, this is *how* they'd do it, I just don't see *why* they'd do it.
If users are already not seeing the desktop then that's only a marginal
gain in the switch. I don't know about the remote admin aspect, is that
something that's clamored for in the industry ?

One thing is certain: If Digi gussied up a kernel for their own hardware
they'd be doing something they'll never be able to do with Windows.

>>Mark, I'll buy you a case of Iron City Light if Digi ever decides to
>>support Linux in any way.
>>

>I know you didn't think you'd lose that bet so quickly, but I don't
>drink light beer anyway so I'll settle for an entry on your Christmas
>card list. Sending my address off-line... ;-)

Worst bet I ever made. :(

I even unilaterally altered its substance by telling Paul I'd buy and
drink that case. I'd certainly be altering *my* substance after that...

>Now, HD plugin manufacturer's a a different price point and so far
>beyond my comprehension. $1K/day for some plugin rentals? I guess this
>is what makes Britney and Ashley rock...

Watching them I thought it something else...

>I trust you had a smile on your face from that walk when you read my
>response! ;-)

Sure thing. I have too much to actually get done, I can't take polemics
for long. Gotta get to the next jam...

Best,

dp

"Show us the way to the next whiskey bar,
  Oh, don't ask why..."