[linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record

Ken Schutte kschutte at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 3 01:11:15 EST 2004

>>>Well... you're not going to capture anything with qaRecord unless you
>>>patch the alsa capture intputs to it.
>>>
>>>In Ardour, do you have the tracks to capture you input armed? Hitting
>>>the record button doesn't do anything if none of the tracks are armed.
>>>

>>Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>If I connect alsa_pcm:capture_1 or _2 to qaRecord:in_0 or in_1, then
>>something shows up in the level monitor in qaRecord, but hovers down at
>>-80dB and doesn't change regardless of the input.
>>
>>In Ardour: I start a new project, add an new track "Audio 1", click the
>>button "INPUT" which gives me "in 1" or "in 2", so I choose "in 1".
>>Then, press track's RECORD button and it turns pink.  Then press record
>>button, press play and send sound into mic and line-in.  This does not
>>seem to produce anything.
>

> The -80dB is probably the noise floor. Either that or you have things turned down so low it is barely getting a faint signal. Run alsamixer and make sure the channels you are recording from are turned up and/or unmuted.
>
> Beyond that I can't help you much. SB cards are an absolute nightmare. Perhaps somebody else on this list who has a SB card can offer more help. The Alsa Wiki can sometimes help.
>
> -Reuben

I figured that since I can hear the mic and line-in directly thru the
speakers, the ALSA settings were okay, i.e. it must be getting captured
at a reasonable level.  But, I'll have to look into it some more...thanks.