[linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Dec 3 11:43:26 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:15:56AM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote on Fri, 03-Dec-2004:
>
>  > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:23:27PM -0500, Andres Cabrera wrote:
>  > > I agree there's some catching up to do, but thing like freqtweak and
>  > > RTmix are very innovative as well.
>  >
>  > To be fair, I believe that Spectral Delay (commercial VST plugin)
>  > predates freqtweak and provides similar capabilities and UI.
>
> Indeed, but I like to think FT has progressed to do some cool
> things that SD doesn't :)

cool :-)

certainly there are many apps that innovate in terms of particular
features. It's hard to say where to draw the line when discussing
whether or not the linux audio world as a whole is "innovative".
I mean, to muddy the picture for a previously cited example,
ReWire came before Jack, didn't it? 1998 according to
http://www.propellerheads.se/technologies/rewire/index.cfm?fuseaction=mainframe
whereas Jack arrived in 2001.

If I was going to point out an innovative application that has no commercial
equivalent AFAIK, the pd/max/jmax family springs to mind.

but then, I find the issue of "what is innovative" only marginally interesting
and I'm not sure why I'm talking about it :-)
/relurk

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com