[linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)

jonathan segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Fri Dec 3 08:07:33 EST 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:

>    Then during the interviews you can say "Ja, I used Linux, ya know,
> it's da bomb"...

i try to do this where possible.

>    We're also still missing the potential in the academic scene.
> Professors and researchers also have pull, and if they can be
> convinced to use Linux in their audio labs, they can also bring
> pressure on manufacturers to provide them with drivers et cetera.

also this. the key for me is SuperCollider. many universities are using
SuperCollider for OS X (previously OS9) as well as Max/MSP for teaching
synthesis. now that Max/MSP is also running (and very efficiently,
apparently) under WinXP, those unfortunate students running that OS can
keep it. SC is supposedly ported to windows as well, but i haven't
heard tales of use yet. However, the teachers that understand SC in the
unix world of Mac OS X seem far more inclined to allow Linux audio into
the studio, particularly since they won't have to petition for more
money for licenses! and a great way that i've been able to convince
people like this to look into Linux alternatives has been through
SuperCollider, which runs very similarly on both platforms (different
gui system, though.)