[linux-audio-user] USB mixer team challenge

Ryan Gallagher ruinaudio at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 21:15:34 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 00:50 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Ryan Gallagher hat gesagt: // Ryan Gallagher wrote:
>
> > So when I run good old alsamixer -c 1 or gnome-alsamixer... I only get
> > one PCM fader and one MIC fader.  Now this card has 2 ins and 6 outs.
> > Also if I raise the PCM fader to 100% I get no sound... bring it back
> > down to 50% and I get full volume.
> >
> > But here's the real question:
> >
> > Is there a mixer that I can use to control all ins and outs of this
> > card?
>
> Many USB soundcards have no or crippled mixers onboard. What you see
> in alsamixer very likely is all there is. From two USB cards I own,
> the Quattro has no mixer at all, and the Terratec Aureon USB only has
> one strip for its 2 input rsp. 6 output channels. Maybe your hardware
> manual has some more info on what to expect from your card?
>
> Not having mixer controls actually is not that big a deal. Every
> decent audio software has software mixing, and personally I don't like
> it, if something like xmms will destroy my fine tuned mixer settings
> when changing mp3 volume.

Thanks for that reply.  The issue of setting the mixer above 50% =
silence aside, I've come the conclusion that a sw mixer isn't really
important to me (however I guess I could just plug the damn thing into a
mac and see what the "official" drivers provide).

-ry

--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio at comcast.net>