[linux-audio-user] Re: creating audio-only dvds

Paul set at pobox.com
Sat Dec 4 00:42:36 EST 2004

derek holzer <derek at x-i.net>, on Sat Oct 23, 2004 [06:34:39 PM] said:
> Hi all,
>
> I have about a five and a half hour long concert I would like to burn as
> audio on a DVD. I assumed that cdrdao or cdrecord would simply make an
> "audio dvd" from the wav files, but that is not the case! My guess is
> that there is something in the CDDA spec which prevents making an audio
> CD over a certain length, because I get "illegal time code" errors from
> cdrdao.
>
> So, three questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to master an "audio dvd" without encoding to a closed
> DVD-A format? By this I mean a DVD disc with uncompressed audio which
> can be played back by most CD/DVD combo players.

	Hi;

	Well, you could make a simple ordinary dvd video that (with luck)
would play in a stand alone unit, or in your computer. Something like:

(this is for NTSC, framerate different, the image size would be
different for PAL, and at least the '-n n' option should be '-n p'
in mpeg2enc)

Get a 720x480 jpeg image.

Turn image into couple second mpeg video:
# jpeg2yuv -n 100 -I p -f 29.97 -j my-pic.jpg | mpeg2enc -f8 -n n -o my-mpeg.m2v

Turn your giant audio blob into *raw* PCM 48000 sample rate, 2
channel, 16 bit, and apparantly *big endian*. (not a wav.) Name
it 'something.lpcm' The extention matters.  An editor like
rezound, or sox, or ecasound can do this. (youll know if the
endian-ness wasnt right, it will sound like loud static)

Mux them together:
# mplex -f8 -L 48000:2:16 -o my-vid.mpg my-mpeg.m2v something.lpcm

(you can play the mpg at this point, but the player might stop after
the short video runs out...but, the sound should be there and a dvd player
should keep going.)

Make the dvd image:
(This is the dead simplest example; you can get much more fancy,
but Im not going into that now.)
# mkdir dvd
# dvdauthor -o dvd my-vid.mpg
# dvdauthor -T -o dvd

Test it:
xine dvd:/full/path/to/wherever/dvd/
(and I mean full path, and dont forget the trailing slash)

Burn it:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video dvd/

	If you have problems or want to persue the question in another
forum, https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dvdauthor-users
mailing list might be a good place.

Paul
set at pobox.com