[linux-audio-user] and here's another song

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:32:36 EST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:10:53 -0800 (PST), R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This song is mastered with JAMin but I can't recall if
> it's mixed with Ardour. This is an Ezra Pound poem
> that I wanted to do something with since reading it in
> the early 1980's. It took about 20 years to get the
> right chemistry.
>
> What I learned tonight. You know how Diet Coke foams
> up in a glass. You get an inch of coke and eight
> inches of foam. If you touch the side of yer nose with
> your finger and then stick the digit into the foam, it
> pops the bubbles.
>
> http://www.iaxs.net/~rparker/sestina.ogg
>
> Ron Parker
> Mirror Image Studios

Ron,
   OK, this has one really great feel. Really good. The mix sounds
quite good loud and hold up when played again at lower volumes. I went
once with Sony cans (MDR-7506's) and again with AKG's (K240DF's) at
lower volumes and less bass. Both came off very well. (Monitor amps
are still in boxes in the other room. Sorry...)

   I always like songs that keep throwing in new and unexpected
sounds. You did a great job in that regard. The overall structure
builds really well.

   The only negative that came across for me was that I really don't
like the reverb tails. They sound very digital to me. I didn't think
it enhanced the kick much and seems to set up some additional edginess
on the snare and chorus vocals especially, at least for me. Not sure
if that's true about the technology, but I'd love to hear a different
mix using a different reverb. I'd probably also let the end come 2
seconds later to catch the reverb tail on 'peace'.

   The only tonal replacement I thought of was swapping out the sheep
vocal ;-) early in the tune for some sort of Middle Eastern violin.
Having a soloist back there might hold more interest and be able to be
used more places in the song. (Although the sheep is a literal sound
for the subject matter in my mind...)

   Love the string pads. Great snare. The guitar is stout. (nice and thick...)

   I've listened 5 times now. I still dig the tune a lot. Will likely
burn a CD and listen in the car today.

   Thanks for sharing!

- Mark