[OT] music made without linux, was Re: [linux-audio-user] music made with linux

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Dec 7 13:56:49 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:44:49PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Hi Paul:
>
>  In very early 1970 I saw The Who in concert at the Grande Ballroom in
> Detroit. It was an exceptional show, starting off with a local band
> whose name I've forgotten but who impressed me by playing some kind of
> jazz-rock, rather before their time. The second band was Joe Cocker and
> his group, their first US tour. If you recall, that group was kickass at
> r'n'b, and they proved it that night. JC got three encores, and I
> wondered how in the world The Who were gonna top this guy. Well, I
> learned how: they were simply incredible, each one of them. Moon was
> really on top of his showman form that night, I've never seen any
> drummer like him since. Entwhistle was a literal rock, I don't think he
> budged an inch the whole night, and his playing was rock steady. Daltry
> and Townsend were also in peak form, the whole band was just wonderful.
> Tommy had just been released, so they did a chunk from it. That was
> interesting itself: the other three members completely cued into
> Townsend, he was essentially conducting a suddenly very attentive group
> through that set.
>
>  Best part of the whole concert: it cost US$6. Yep, as in six dollars.

Oh, you're killin' me :-(
That was just about the time I was conceived, so there's no way i could've
attended :-P

I did see them at age 12 on the "farewell" (ha ha ha give us
your money you gullible bastards) tour which was hardly the same.
I vaguely recall that the Clash opened but I was too young and
ignorant to appreciate it.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com