[OT][OT][OT][OT] music made without linux, was Re: [linux-audio-user] music made with linux

Rick Taylor RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Tue Dec 7 07:19:15 EST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 05:24 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:50:03AM -0600, Rick Taylor wrote:
> > Personally, I think "Quadrophenia" was their best.
>
> To each his own ... it's got a handful of great songs but somehow
> to me the production is neither as lush as Who's Next nor as raw
> as the live recordings or the earlier studio albums.

:} I like the horns... they're really powerful through much of it. They have
as much punch as the guitar in a lot of places and the guitar on that album
is about as lyrical as Pete ever got. There is some mud in it but that's
pretty minimal considering it's a mid-70's concept album.

> > You might try "Meaty,
> > Beaty, Big and Bouncy" {greatest hitsish}, "Sell Out",
>
> "Sell Out" is a fascinating and fun little concept album.
> It's supposed to sound like one of the english pirate radio stations
> of the time (1968) and includes at least one totally perfect single,
> "I Can See For Miles" which just might be the best Keith Moon moment
> recorded.

It is a great album. I like their lighter stuff like "Pictures of Lily"
though.

> > "Happy Jack" or "Magic
> > Bus" {Which might be as close as you'll get to "Live at Leeds" in terms
> > of bluesiness.}
>
> "Magic Bus" the album? It was a singles/B-sides collection the label
> put out against the band's wishes. I don't recall what was on it...
> some of those singles were pretty darn good.

The album... I've not heard it in years...It's the closest to live at Leeds
that I can think of. :} Not that it's all that close.

Here's the track listing:
http://www.thewho.net/discography/albums/magicbus.html

> > "My Generation"'s pretty good as well. I like their older stuff
> > though... I think they got a bit too polished later on. I think "Tommy"
> > was incredible and don't really care for "Who's Next" {"Behind Blue Eyes"
> > is great... "Won't get fooled again" would seem great to me if I'd not
> > heard it three zillion times.}
>
> Ah, but there's all the non-single tracks too... "The Song Is Over",
> "Love Ain't for Keeping" etc... every one of em I love...

I guess it's a good album... I was burnt out on it by the mid-70s though.

> > I sort of lost interest after Quadrophenia. The Ramones
> > and their ilk had come into being. :} {"Polish" is for the birds.}
>
> I tend to agree, but "By Numbers" is worth a second listen.
> About half the songs are bleh but a couple are brilliantly written.
> "However Much I Booze" and "Dreaming from the Waist" stand out.
> Pete was in good form (and severely depressed, it's not
> happy music).

I just sort of filed that one. I don't like "SlipKid" or "Squeezebox" It's the
first Who album I didn't buy. I did start buying "Jam" albums around that
time though.

> My all time favorite Who thing in any medium is probably
> "A Quick One" on the "Kids are Alright" DVD.  Before they got
> all serious, the Who's onstage chaos wasn't so bleak and scary,
> it was delightful, and the songs were often pretty funny.

We're pretty much agreed there... I don't remember that "Quick One". I do like
that period a lot better than the others though. That's probably why I'm not
so interested in "Who's Next" ...It's a bit pompous in places. Same sort of
problem I have with U2's stuff after "Unforgettable Fire". I think they
managed to get away from that though.

> OK I promise to stop being OT now :-)

I'll never figure out how music can be off topic anywhere. :}
--
www.RTaylor-Design.Com