[linux-audio-user] Strict Red Book

Reuben Martin MartinR at jbu.edu
Thu Dec 9 01:38:13 EST 2004

>> I'm trying to burn some audio CD's and I always run
>> into the problem that there are some CD players that
>> just don't want to play the CDs that come out of my
>> burner. I'm burning them in raw on a Plextor drive,
>> so it _shouldn't_ be having problems.
>
>I trying to think of ways that the hardware could have
>an impact and am failing to think of anything. Does
>that make any sense?

Some of the cheaper burners have bugs in the firmware that result in crappy CDs. Some don't support various modes of burning CDs. Plextor has a good reputation for features and quality drives.

>> Apparently the
>> CD's are not strictly compliant with Red Book specs
>> though. (from the documentation CDrecord uses CD-DA
>> rather than Red Book, I'm not quite sure what the
>> differences are)
>
>If CD-DA isn't Red Book, then I wonder what is. My
>impression has been that Red Book is simply the method
>by which the audio files are burned onto the disk.
>There are two methods; A, Disk at Once (DAO) and B,
>Track at Once (TAO). Red Book is DOA.

>From cdrecord's man page:

"-audio If this flag is present, all subsequent tracks are written in CD-DA (similar to Red Book) audio format."

I would take that to imply that there are some differences.

You can also write in RAW mode, which tends to be more accurate than DAO mode.  When I use DAO mode the subchannel data is offset by 2 seconds. I usually burn audio CDs in RAW96r mode. More from the cdrecord man file:

"-raw96r Select Set RAW writing mode with 2352 byte sectors plus 96 bytes of raw  P-W  subchannel data resulting in a sector size of 2448 bytes. This is the preferred raw writing mode as  it  gives  best  control over  the  CD  writing  process.  If you find any problems with the layout of a disk or with sub channel content (e.g. wrong  times  on the  display  when playing the CD) and your drive supports to write in -raw96r or -raw16 mode, you should give it a try. There are several CD writers with bad firmware that result in broken disks when writing in TAO or SAO mode."

>> This is quite annoying when I give people a CD and
>> it turns out their palyer can't handle it. (Once
>> there was even a CD-ROM drive that wouldn't play
>> it!) Does anybody know of any solutions for this?
>
>I just use my own scripts to burn CDs. I've never had
>a problem. What program do you use to write the CD?
>And if you post a TOC file maybe someone here can spot
>something wrong with it.

I generally use cdrecord directly or use GCD Master.

>Nobody else responsed which is why I am. Not because I
>really know much about it. Although, I never have
>problems with the CDs that I burn.

I personally never have problems with them either, but there are some cheap boom boxes out there have a real problem seeking tracks on my CDs.