[linux-audio-user] Strict Red Book

Michael T Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Thu Dec 9 07:03:50 EST 2004

Reuben Martin wrote:

> I tried several very reliable brands, but it hasn't made any difference.

Hi Reuben,

In my experience, there is no correlation whatsoever between price and
quality of blank CD-Rs. I've bought a lot of different types, and have
found a mix of good and bad at all price ranges. So I just stick to the
cheap ones now. Once you find a good source, just buy a load in bulk.

I find that some discs are much more prone to deteroriation than others.
A couple of years ago, a housemate of mine had a batch from which the
surface peeled off within days/weeks. They do last better if they are
kept out of sunlight (don't leave them on the windowsill!)

Also, some are less likely to be readable in most machines than others.
I generally find that CD-R drives are the best at reading all discs. I
have a pretty high quality Technics CD deck in my stereo, and that tends
to refuse to play most home-burnt audio CD-Rs. Some CD playing hardware
just seems to be more fussy about what you put in it.

As far as I can tell, the only way to create CDs that will reliably play
in all audio players is to get them professionally made. Burning CD-Rs
is cheaper, but less reliable. I go for the cheap option.

Michael