[linux-audio-user] HDSPmixer problem

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Wed Dec 15 11:27:07 EST 2004

For the record, I have the exact same problem and if I am not mistaken Tim
Blechman also does. Both Tim and myself had a problem with our PCMCIA
controllers (garbled audio) until some of the registers were changed which
enabled burst mode and some other things (different solutions for our two
controllers as they were manufactured by different companies). This fixed
the sound I/O problems and the card now works flawlessly in that respect,
but the VU meter has *exactly* the same behavior as described by Kevin
(FWIW, this does not happen in Win32 so hardware is apparently not the
issue, at least not in my case).

>From briefly studying the issue: (the following applies to the middle row of
meters, namely 1 and 2) it seems that the code for slowly degrading the VU
meter's values through time works accurately but perhaps slower than usual
(i.e. when there is no sound, the meter should degrade at a relatively fast
pace until it reaches -infinity), but apparently refreshes of the VU meter
values are not often enough and therefore the peaks are usually well below
the actual levels and they only occasionally show up at all. It's almost as
if the refresh of the meter values is slowed down.

Also, the input signal monitoring (top row) only shows info for the first 6
or 7 inputs, the rest are dead (there should be at least 8 of the analog
ones that work), while the output levels (bottom row) generally behave in
the same fashion as the middle row but with much lower values, meaning that
most of the time they show 0 activity.

All this leads me to believe that there is a bug somewhere in the mixer that
only affects certain hardware.

Also, just for the record my PCMCIA controller is ENE1410 on an AMD64 3000+
running 32-bit Linux on a heavily modified 2.6.7 kernel.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/