[linux-audio-user] Wavetable cards

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Thu Dec 16 16:46:45 EST 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 01:34 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 13:13 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > Does anybody know of a supported soundcard with a wavetable that's
> > both currently available and not emu10k1/audigy chipset?
>
> What is your objection to the emu10k1?  This is the best supported
> wavetable card.  I hope it's not that stupid entry in the linux audio
> FAQ.

Not sure to which entry you are referring, but it's really a logistical
problem. I just dropped $30 (on sale!) for a SBLive! to drop in a box I use
for a synth module. That's ridiculous for an obsolete card. I know what I
paid like 4 years ago for the same thing. The SBL24 ($30MSRP) was unsuitable.
I see some other cards available with better audio specs for less money. The
card matrix @ alsa-project is a bit obtuse and unavailable in a store. A card
with SYNTH and no SYNTH_MIDI, does that mean it's got a wavetable that can't
be connected or vice versa or what?
 I mean, it's great that GUS cards are supported, but that means I have to
take out my 14.4 modem or Token Ring card to free up an ISA slot ;)