[linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Dec 16 22:48:59 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-16-12 at 20:45 -0600, vord wrote:
> Everyone's happy -- RME discloses nothing and therefore risks nothing,
> *nix gets compatibility and therefore a potentially larger user base,
> which leads to potentially larger development teams, communities,
> which leads to ... [imagination required beyond this point].

No, Linux on approved x86 boxes with the single "supported" version of
the Linux kernel gets compatibility.  Maybe.  For a little while anyway,
until RME decides it doesn't care about your $2000 sound card anymore so
prevent you from using it with any remotely recent system.

"Spread cheer and free software throughout the land" indeed.

> Obviously this is not perfect, but i think we can all agree that a
> half-open- and half-closed-source model is better than the current
> situation with regard to RME and Linux.

That's great that you think "we can all agree that...".  You're wrong.
Don't tell me what I agree with.  You want to start an ititiative to get
a proprietary driver?  Fine.  Have fun.  Just don't tell everyone else
that obviously we all agree with you.  If I agreed with you, I'd be
running OSX (perhaps you should be..)

On the other hand, you could help try to actually get RME to open up
with specs and/or drivers instead of bending over (on behalf of Linux no
less) for them.

But more importantly, is it really necessary to revive this nonsense
again?  This awful thread finally dies and now this...

-DR-