[linux-audio-user] Wavetable cards

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Fri Dec 17 16:21:39 EST 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 06:18 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 16:46 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > >
> > > What is your objection to the emu10k1?  This is the best supported
> > > wavetable card.  I hope it's not that stupid entry in the linux audio
> > > FAQ.
> >
> > Not sure to which entry you are referring, but it's really a logistical
> > problem. I just dropped $30 (on sale!) for a SBLive! to drop in a box I
> > use for a synth module. That's ridiculous for an obsolete card. I know
> > what I paid like 4 years ago for the same thing.
>
> Well, I think the SBLive will not get much cheaper than that because for
> what it does it works very well.  Think of it as a piece of audio gear

I could have gotten it cheaper off pricewatch too. Actually, I am thinking of
it in terms of audio hardware. $600 for a module vs. $30 and junker parts.
I've been pretty happy with what it does but lately the driver has been
dropping notes and that's unacceptable. I know it'll get fixed, but it'd be
nice if all my eggs weren't in one basket.

> instead of a piece of computer hardware.  Is a 5 year old effects pedsl
> "obsolete"?  Hell no -  chances are it's better made than a brand new
> one.
>
> The same goes for sound cards.  The trend is toward cheaper soundcards
> that move more of the traditional hardware functionality (mixing etc) to
> software.

One of the things about a mature production process is price goes down.
It's still a 16 bit card and they sell a 24 bit one for less (of course that
one is missing the AC97 mixer section). I suppose a stable street price could
be indicative of something.