[linux-audio-user] Re: Tracktion

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sat Dec 18 14:25:56 EST 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 23:19, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> > >This is being offered gratis till the end of december by Mackie. This
> > > one
> >
> > might just be coaxed into running under Wine which would be quite an
> > achievement.
> >
> > >Kudos: 1. The program, though free, needs be registered to a "machine
> >
> > number". Did this under Windows, did not get that far using Wine. Might
> > need a second copy just for the Linux runs.
>
> was able to do all this with only the latest version of wine - no
> windows partition involved.
If the dialogs work, registration should work. My concern is being able to use
one copy alternatively in Windows AND in Linux once that works. I will
request a second key once I have the dialogs up.

> > >2. The program searches for all its own VST dlls and any on the VST
> >
> > directory. Might have problems doing this in Wine. Some VST demos bring
> > up an error box saying please register, limited trial, etc. Such things
> > may be disruptive in Wine. (Other VST hosts let you manually find them
> > when you want them, avoiding this problem in most cases)
> >
> > >Anyway, the thing appeared to hang up but I was able to get out. No
> > > crash, no
> >
> > bebug offer. Clean.
>
> it scanned all the vst plugins in my vst directory (which is in my fake
> windows drive) except for one steinberg grm tools one, which crashed it,
> but on next boot, it said it had disabled it due to a problem :)   all
> the vst's that it successfully scanned are available from within an open
> project - and all their gui's display correctly in tracktion ...

Yes, it does. When I ran from the windows directory, it scanned them but hung
on those with the warnings. They were disabled the next run which is normal
Tracktion functionality I suppose.

> > The main problem is that any UI pop-up, i.e. to choose files, etc., does
> > not come up visibly. This is the apparent hangup. Alt-F4 dismisses the
> > invisible dialog box.
>
> this is not a problem for me - all dialogue boxes work as expected. in
> fact,
Now .. what do you do which is different? I have a dual boot system with Win98
and Linux partitions. I am running Debian, Wine from Sid.

> > It audio output device is listed as "direct sound" (under Windows, the
> > card's ASIO drivers would be listed).
> >
> > But .. one would not get anywhere near this far with Sonar.
>
> everything seems to work EXACTLY as required, except for a working sound
> device ... i too get "directsound" listed in the audio setup, but no
> sound devices are listed ... i might try messing with the sound settings
> in winecfg to see if i can get a wine audio device listed ...
I have only had audio play with the OSS selected in Wine's config. Plays
through ALSA's OSS compatibility layer, I suppose. Selection ALSA or Jack has
not worked for me.

> when i was using windows, i used tracktion quite a bit, and was really
> impressed by its interface and usability - plus it's got an interesting
> approach to layout/structure ..

Yes, this program looks interesting. Interface is eccentric. Does it do
mix-automation--I like Sonar's graphical controur control fo this since
moused mixer panels just do not cut it.

> anyone else want to test this as well, see if they can get it going?
Keep us all posted :-)