[linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]

Rick Taylor RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Sat Dec 18 08:56:14 EST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 09:59 am, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 01:49, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 15:38 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > > Is there a difference between you getting paid by RME or any other
> > > company for doing a closed or open source driver?
> >
> > I would work on an open driver for free (well, someone would have to
> > give me the hardware) because like many others I feel that working on
> > open source software is its own reward.
>
> An open source driver isn't the same thing as open source software other
> than both being open source. From the companies' perspective, an open
> source driver is likely going to be the cause for a higher revenues
> these days(although some people may think that the numbers would not be
> that interesting still, assume it's ~100 for RME and ~20000 for newer
> ATI cards, although i think it's a higher number). Still no investement
> has been made into developing and supporting such drivers. Instead, the
> oss devs are doing that kind of work basically for free(perhaps they get
> one free unit), as a service for the companies. I think it's pretty much
> unfair.
>
> Marek

Is there anyplace where you get stats and demographics as to the number of RME
users on linux? Maybe if you could approach them with concrete numbers? I
somehow doubt they care all that much about their copyright... If you could
show them concrete benefits...

--
www.RTaylor-Design.Com