[linux-audio-user] MIDI problems on latest alsa from Sid

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Wed Dec 22 16:51:52 EST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 10:13 am, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:43:56 +0200
>
> David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 December 2004 16:11, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > > possible solution:
> > >
> > > modprobe snd_seq_midi
> >
> > This indeed go MIDI going! Thanks.
> >
> > Question now is: What is happening on bootup (since I never needed to
> > explicitely modprobe this before?

I haven't seen any of this prior discussion, but if you list snd_seq_midi in
/etc/modules it'll autoload at boot time. It's not a clean solution but it
works.

You have to see where the modules are loading to make it neat. Is it hotplug,
is it the alsa start up script, what have you. Whether it's 2.4 or 2.6 kernel
makes a difference in how that happens and where the config info is pulled
from as well.

> I suppose it's a debian bug. probably modprobe.conf is not setup in such
> a way that it is loaded automatically..

I'd have to check details but it's more like you have to specify that you want
the sequencer option when you set up alsa. Not talking about the compile time
option, which would mess one up on a source built ALSA, but the module
params.

> So either setup modprobe.conf to load it or maybe use modconf to do it..
> I'm sure you'll find a way after studying the debian user manual ;)

/etc/modules