[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Steinberg sold to Yamaha

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon Dec 27 21:22:20 EST 2004

R Parker wrote:

>--- Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz at ping.de> wrote:
>

>>I had already read that. Which effects can be
>>predicted?
>>

>Having an afinity for talking out of my ass, this is
>my moment.

I thought I was the only one! :)

> What's known is that Yamaha Music invested
>$5,000.000.00 into embedded Linux kernel development a
>year or two ago. Now they've invested $25,000.000.00
>into Cubase. To compete with ProFools, they need the
>hardware and software combined. And now they have it.
>
>What I find interesting is their decision to spend
>millions on Cubase rather than thousands on Ardour.
>Why? The value of concern isn't a technical quality.
>Twenty five million will build anything soft. The
>investment is in owned market.
>
>Combining the Yamaha and Didgi marketshares together
>creates a product that automatically compete with
>ProFools.
>
>I'll tune in to watch a couple two ton gorillas beat
>on eachother. It's a legitimate heavy weight bout. The
>compelling consideration for us is that other hardware
>companies either adapt to compete with the gorillas or
>they dissapear. Mackie has their solution. But some
>hardware manufacturer is thinking about combining
>their hardware and market share with Linux Audio
>software because JACK, Ardour, JAMin and many other
>interesting applications are almost ready to satisfy
>user expectations. Will it be Neve, Peavey, Focusrite
>or whomever that decides to combine their hardware and
>marketshare with our software and put it into the ring
>with the gorillas? Someone is gonna do it.

This would be an awesome validation for all the hard work the dev teams
have put into these apps. A little money might not go astray either!

>With a ringside seat procured, all I'm missing is a
>fresh pot of coffee and a donut. I will not need
>cigarettes because I quit smoking a few days back and
>am firmly held within the cold turkey psychosis. I am
>sick and pissed enough at Phillip Morris to stick
>around and watch the audio contendors fight it out.

Doooood!  ....get the gum, the patch, the pills...whatever it takes and
stick it out! I did 3 1/2 mths ago. I am happy to say I'm a NON
SMOKER!!!!!  So there was a few dead bodys along the way...big deal!
:)   The Welbutrin helped with the mood swings a bunch! And I put on 25
lbs!!:) Soon I'll look like the freakin Pillsberry Dough boy! But I WONT
be smokin' , no siree!

R~