[linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Dec 30 23:08:49 EST 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> The AGNULA folks need to do some serious updating to their website??
>>> Unless all they have is 7 audio applications...I assume there is
>>> more recent stuff in a repository somewhere?
>>>
>>> I use Mandrake and Thac's but it is a bit of a pain at the moment
>>> with the 2.6 kernel stuff and the latest distro is not likely to
>>> work at all with the 2.4 kernel.
>>>
>>> I've been tempted many times to try CCRMA but untill someone can
>>> spout a reliable RT kernel in packaged form with all the most recent
>>> updates, whatever the distro may be,  I don't want to try anything new.
>>>

>> [I don't understand the 'I don't want to try anything new' part... :-]
>>

> :) Kind of a contradiction considering where I'm writing to...
>
> What I mean is, I need that production box to work. So before I go
> mess it all up, I want something stable ~ ish. At least as stable as
> the mdk 2.6.7-mm.7 kernel has been.
>
>> Ha, a "reliable RT kernel" does not really exist at this point in time
>> (IMHO). The best low latency performance in the 2.6.x series can only be
>> obtained by using Ingo Molnar's realtime preempt patch. The latest
>> version (and maybe also the underlying 2.6.10-rc3-mm1 as well) is not a
>> model of stability... But when it works, it works very well indeed.
>>
> ""reliable RT kernel" does not really exist at this point in time(IMHO)"
>
> It would seem this is true. But the 2.4 kernel was stable and
> reliable. I'm sure 2.6 will get there too, even if it is 20 releases
> away.
>
>> Check out the top entries at the Planet CCRMA log:
>>  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html
>> There are now a couple of new kernels there, both bleeding edge (with
>> the realtime preempt patch version 0.7.33-04) and conservative (vanilla
>> 2.6.10).
>> -- Fernando
>>

> Do these have the Realtime-lsm patch too? I don't want to run as root.
> Give's me the willies! :)
>
> R~

Never mind...read the website.

WHat i dont see is how far into the FC3 builds you are? I see one failed
build that you list...I wouldnt mind testing it out.

Sure would be nice to get a "bare bones" install disk of the OS instead
of the bloated disks like Mdk does.  Makes no sense to me...majority of
geeks that use Linux in the first place have a broadband connection of
somekind. Most distros provide all updates via online anyway...why have
fifteen install CD's? </rant>

 Time to take my meds! :)

Cheers