[linux-audio-user] capture MIDI to a file?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:10:33 EST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:57:18 -0500, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:49 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Thanks Andreas. I downloadi and built it. Not too difficult. When I
> > run it the program fails asking me for a FIFO?
>
> Just use arecordmidi --port foo:bar --dump file.mid.  foo:bar is the
> port to dump/record from, you can list available ports with amidi -l.
>
> Lee

Right. Thanks. This is working fine and it's readable when using the
mf2t applet that Dave passed along. However I'm only able to capture
MIDI from other apps and not from my MIDI ports so far.

I seem to have MIDI modules installed. (I think...) Where is the MIDI going?

One possiblity is this stinking RME HDSP 9652 MIDI breakout connector
not making contact correctly on the card. I may have to tear the
machine appart to mod the metal on the back case...

Do you see anything wrong with the info below?

Thanks,
Mark

[mark at Godzilla mark]$ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_seq_oss            41088  0
snd_pcm_oss            58664  0
nls_utf8                1664  1
udf                    80004  0
snd_mixer_oss          19328  2 snd_pcm_oss
realcap                 4368  0
commoncap               5120  1 realcap
snd_seq_midi            7840  0
snd_seq_midi_event      8448  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                70928  8 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_hdsp               60520  5
snd_rawmidi            27428  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_hdsp
snd_seq_device          8204  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm               112264  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hdsp
snd_timer              33412  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          8584  2 snd_hdsp,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep               8452  1 snd_hdsp
snd                    64644  19
snd_seq_oss,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_hdsp,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
soundcore               8928  2 snd