[linux-audio-user] Re:UPDATE insmod errors - rme hammerfall multiface UPDATE

Thomas Charbonnel thomas at undata.org
Wed Feb 4 17:41:09 EST 2004

rob canning a wrote :
> hi again,
>
> here are some revised details of my problem!
>
> i am actually running the planetccrma kernel 2.4.20-18.1.caps
>

> when running alsaconf i get:
> [root at localhost robcanning]# /usr/sbin/alsaconf
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 120: modinfo: command not found
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 127: modinfo: command not found
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 135: modinfo: command not found
>
> then it finds:
>   hdsp      Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP (rev 32)       │ │
>  │ │       intel8x0  Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio (rev
> 02)             │ │
>  │ │       legacy    Probe legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips
>
> then it configures snd-hdsp and runs alsasound start at which point
> things go wrong:
> Starting sound driver: snd-hdsp
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.1.caps/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.1.caps/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.1.caps/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.1.caps/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod snd-hdsp
> failed
> done
> Setting default volumes...
>
>  Now ALSA is ready to use.
>  For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.
>
>  Have a lot of fun!
>
> more info:
> 03:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
> DSP (rev
> 32)
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>         Latency: 64
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
>         Region 0: Memory at feae0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=64K]
>

> [root at localhost robcanning]# dmesg
> mory allocator: buffers allocated for 1 cards
> RME Hammerfall-DSP: no cards found
> Hammerfall memory allocator: buffers allocated for 1 cards
> RME Hammerfall-DSP: no cards found
>
> which is then repeated a number of times
>
> thanks,
>
> rob

Hi Rob,

Could you please check the alsa version used by your running kernel (cat
/proc/asound/version) ? I suspect that you still have an old alsa
version, because the hammerfall_mem module is no more used to allocate
the buffer's memory. I you happen to have an old version of alsa, it is
probable that your card revision (0x32) was not supported at the time.
Updating to alsa 1.0.2 should solve the problem.

Thomas