[linux-audio-user] Should I Bother Learning Csound?

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Thu Feb 5 17:20:05 EST 2004

Hi!
  As mentioned: Csound has a lot of components (opcodes) and a lot of
examples. Besides that it is powerful. Even if SAOL might have some better
features. But another good possibility (I think as powerful as csound) is clm
(common lisp music). The language might be better (if you like lisp). the
advantage of ths is: you have a real programming language, with a lot of
typical features (mathematics and the like). I've never used it though... Only
talked to a guy, who did.
  I used csound a couple of times and it is great, once you get to know it. It
is a crappy language (1967 was its point of origin). Still it's simple enough
to learn, if you get the hang of it.
  Another alternative might be: PureData (PD), if you like GUIs. But I think
this baby is more useful for DJing.
  As to effects: there are the plugins, which you can find at the
alsamodular-synth page at sourceforge.net. To create such plugins you must do
some transformation. Csound opcodes can't be used as plugins directly.
  Kindest regards
       Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net - the Linux TextBased Studio guide