[linux-audio-user] Re: UPDATE insmod errors - rme hammerfall multiface UPDATE

Thomas Charbonnel thomas at undata.org
Fri Feb 6 07:37:22 EST 2004

rob canning wrote :
> hi fernando, thomas, list,
>
> thanks very much for your help, i feel like i may be getting close now but am still having problems...
>
> i did an apt get install on the new kernel set it asd default with GRUB
>
> when i do alsaconf i no longer get the insmod errrors but i do still get:
>
> [root at localhost robcanning]# /usr/sbin/alsaconf
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 120: modinfo: command not found
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 127: modinfo: command not found
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 135: modinfo: command not found
>
> when i start alsasound
> [robcanning at localhost robcanning]$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> ALSA driver already running
> Sound driver snd-hdsp is already loaded
>

> when i start alsamixer
>  Card: Intel ICH5                                                             ││ Chip: Analog Devices AD1985                                                  ││ Item: Master
>
> and with the -c 1 argument
> [robcanning at localhost robcanning]$ /usr/bin/alsamixer -c 1
> No mixer elems found
>

> my modules.conf file looks like this (i have commented out the oss stuff):
>
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.1 ---
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> #alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> #alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> #alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> #alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> #alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0ntitlntitled 1ntitled 1ed 1 snd-hdsp
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-hdsp
> post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> # -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
> add options -k snd-card-0
>
> when i run the audio software pd the Hamerfall is listed in its audio devices but when i change to it from the default (intel) it crashes with:
>
> input channels = 2, output channels = 2
> alsa: changing output device to agree with input device
> device name hw:1; channels in 2, out 2
> audio buffer set to 50
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1055:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c failed: No such
> device
> snd_pcm_open (input): No such device
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1055:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p failed: No such
> device
> snd_pcm_open (output): No such device
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Bad file
> descriptor
> audio I/O stuck... closing audio
>
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:751:(snd_pcm_hw_close) close failed
> : Bad file descriptor
> [...]

Hi Rob,

You have to initialize the iobox running the hdsploader command.
After that you should run hdspmixer (a totalmix clone) that will set the
default levels. You'll also want to check hdspconf (windows/mac control
panel clone). All this tools are part of the alsa-tools package.
Hdsploader also need the alsa-firmware package to be installed. I
believe tha Planet installs all this automatically.

Note that you can't use alsamixer with the hdsp, but you can use amixer.
(googling for hdsp+linux should lead you to more information on this)

Note also that the card can only play 24/32 bits non-interleaved
streams. If you want to play 16 bits and/or interleaved files you have
to use the alsa-lib's plug layer.

Here are a few examples :

aplay -Dhw:X,0 32or24bits.wav

aplay -Dplughw:X,0 16bits.wav