[linux-audio-user] RE: Should I Bother Learning Csound?

Atte André Jensen atte at ballbreaker.dk
Fri Feb 6 17:11:49 EST 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:

> In other words,
> you can't really do structured programming at all.
> You end up doing tons of copy/paste and spaghetti.
>
> Except for all that, csound is great ;-)

Very interresting thread! I'm a long term csounder and before giving in
to the tempation of downloading a bunch of new software I'd like to know
how these other text-based synthesizers compares to csound in terms of:

* sound-quality.

* midi-implementation. I use csound almost exclusively in realtime live
controlled from midi keyboards. Csound has dynamic voice allocation,
handles polyphony and 16 midi channels well.

* stability.

* efficiency. I need to generate everything in realtime on my PIV2.4G
laptop.

* ability to handle samples. With csound I mostly assemble multi-samples
in soundfonts.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte