[linux-audio-user] Why doesn't this link work?

Burkhard Woelfel versuchsanstalt at gmx.de
Wed Feb 11 12:51:14 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 16:48, Marv Smoak wrote:
> I guess it's a character flaw on my part but this is driving
> me nuts.
>
> Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out
> why my system does not play an audio clip at the site below.
> The clip is from an NPR show, SoundMoney, and is of interest
> to my wife, a prof in the School of Business at Xavier
> University. Her machine, running that other OS, plays it; mine
> RH 8.0 from Planet CCRMA (vintage March 2003) plays Real streams
> with no problems; I use it every day.
>
> (note some long lines below may have "wrap"ed.)
> At the NPR SoundMoney site there is a link to
> http://www.reppe.com/
> At that site (below the picture) we see:
>
> Rik's Latest on NPR's Sound Money
> 2/7/04 - Why Capitalism Rocks: Twix, Frisbees, and the Grateful Dead
>  Listen
>
> the Listen link is to:
> http://www.soundmoney.org/play/audio2.php?media=/2004/02/07_soundmoney&star
>t=00:00:53:24.0&end=00:00:57:54.5
>
> When I click on it, my Konqueror browser asks what program to open it with.
> If I say Konqueror, the Konqueror displays the audio2.php file:
>
> <smil>
> <seq>
> <audio
> src="

This file

<rtsp://a754.v5559f.c5559.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/754/5559/v001/
mpr.download.akamai.com/5559/money/2004/02/07_soundmoney.rm>

plays nicely with Realplayer 8.0.3.421 here.

Can't those php files be handled by Realplayer, too?

I never tried to do so.
BTW, I am a big fan of The Prairie Home Companion, also on Minnesota Public
Radio. To listen to the current show with only one click, I wrote a
shellscript (which is seriously _below_ average), see attachment.

the php file should include the RA file to play. This is not an elegant
solution, but it works for me.

Regards,
- - Burkhard

> clip-begin="00:00:53:24.0" clip-end="00:00:57:54.5"/>
> </seq>
> </smil>
> Usually, Konqueror opens real streams with realplay with no problems.
>
> If I say open with realplay, realplay comes up and fails to play,
> complaining that "Some component is missing ..."
>
> After much searching on google and google groups, I think I've learned
> that the web site itself is failing to execute the .php file and not
> sending the stream.  I also tried using Mozilla and wget with the same
> results.
>
> This is not an important problem for me, but it is bugging me to the
> point of distraction.  Do any of you folks understand what's happening
> and why my wifes OS plays and mine won't?

- --

                        Public key available here:
<http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFD82303B>
key FP 0A65 5E83 F44F 47A5 3DFC 19C5 7779 E411 FD82 303B