[linux-audio-user] New install, SuSE

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Thu Feb 12 01:23:03 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:47:30PM -0500, David Evans wrote:

> I'm getting this error when trying to start hydrogen:
>
> [ERROR]  OssDriver      ERROR_IOCTL: unable to set BlockSize
> [ERROR]  Hydrogen       Error starting audio driver
>
> then the gui comes up with a messageBox "error starting audio driver".
>
> any thoughts?

I'd guess BlockSize parameter sets the size of the buffer. You can change
that in the Preferences dialog. Maybe the error message is misleading and
the audio device is blocked by some other sound application (KDE's artsd?)
You could check out XMMS's settings (click on the little 'O' for the menu),
see what output it uses. My guess is it uses arts or ALSA, see if it works
with OSS. If it uses arts, you'd probably have to stop artsd. (You can disable
it in KDE control center.)

Eventually you wanna give jack a try. As mentioned before qjackctl is the way
to go. It can also stop artsd automatically.

cheers,
Christian