[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 5, Issue 27 (Paul Winkler)

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Fri Feb 13 22:03:59 EST 2004

(I'll assume we're talking about Python the scripting language, and not the
original Python - the CMUCL compiler)

On Thursday 12 February 2004 06:38, stefan kersten wrote:
> i'm not sure if turning off gc is a real solution for (long
> running) musical applications.

It could be a perfectly fine solution, depending on the application, if the
maximum expected run-time is bounded. Before you say this is an unreliable
hack, consider that in principle, this is no different than recording into a
conventional MIDI sequencer, where the sequence data is stored in RAM. Yes,
eventually, if you record long enough, you will run out of room.

> when do you turn it back on?

Simple. You do a full GC whenever you stop a real-time run.

>what about
> applications that constantly create many small objects?

What about them? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Incidentally, it's interesting to see that there is not much mention of using
Ruby instead of Python, in the Linux computer-music world. Presumably Python
must still have an advantage in some areas?

Larry Troxler