[linux-audio-user] multiple MIDI interfaces

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Feb 14 01:34:35 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 06:33, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
> > Soon i'll have to connect 3 MIDI devices to a Linux system (and also
> > send MIDI between the devices themselves, not only device<-->computer):
> > two hardware synths (keyboards) and an effects box. Possibly another
> > device later, but we'll see.
> > What MIDI box do you recommend in this case?
>
> ESI Miditerminal M4U: http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=19
> Edirol UM-4: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/archive/um4.html

Well, the first one is made by a company who doesn't have as a
distributor any of the major on-line music stores that i know (they seem
to be a small company anyway).

The second one seems to be discontinued.

> or UM-550: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um550.html
> Only the UM-550 can do routing in hardware.  (Usually, only 8x8
> interfaces can do routing.)
> I don't know if it's possible to control the UM-550 by software (try
> asking Edirol), but it has a sixth port (labeled "Control" in the
> Windows driver), so it may be possible to do something with SysEx's.

That one looks interesting. Kind of on the expensive side ($200) but
appears to be a good piece of hardware.

I understand the concept of routing in hardware, and i see the
advantages, but wouldn't that prevent aconnect/kacconect to do their
normal job?
I mean, can i override with acconect whatever settings are made in
hardware? (i assume UM-550 can be configured via its buttons or
something)
In general, is there any way to control this interface in software under
Linux?
(hope i'm making sense)

> > On the ALSA website, next to the 4x4 it says "Firmware driver coming
> > soon" - what does that mean?
>
> That means that the website is out of date.

Ok, so since you're the maintainer of the Midisport firmware loader, i
figured you should know the answer: how stable are these cards (the ones
that require your loader) under Linux? If i do the firmware loading
correctly, they will work as expected, right?

Do you see any problems in the future, like - your loader not working
anymore under future versions of the Linux kernel, etc.
I guess what i'm asking is, if i buy a 4x4 now, i'd like to make sure
i'm going to be able to use it successfully under Linux, for years to
come.

If these cards work fine under Linux, i have no issues with using your
loader. It's just one more step in the boot-up sequence, one script to
add to /etc/init.d before ALSA kicks in (or maybe modify the ALSA
script).
In fact, the 4x4 seems to be exactly what i need, in terms of price and
features.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/