[linux-audio-user] LADSPA SC2, SC3 Compressors and Sidechain

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sat Feb 14 15:20:58 EST 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 03:52, Steve Harris wrote:

>>>No takers??
>>
>>Sorry, must have missed it first time tound. They do work (SC4 is used in
>>JAMin), try setting low attach and decay times, winding the threshold right
>>down the ratio right up and the knee to the middle and the peak/rms to
>>peak.
>>
>>If your audio is comming in at quite a low level you may not hear anything
>>- this is a thinko on my part, analogue compressors expect signals > 0dB,
>>but in digital systems this is unusual, so the range of the threshold is a
>>bit narrow. A future release will have a lower min range.
>>
>>- Steve
>

> Thnx Steve..
>
> What about the side chain inputs...Any info on how to use them as I
> described? Like as de essing with pushed freqs from a seperate eq?

i have not used scX's sidechains yet, but there is a quite nice
dedicated de-esser in the new TAP LADSPA package. it has some
problems at some settings (peaking setting did not work for me, but
low-pass did), but can be made to work rather nicely if you choose
the setting carefully.

http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/

regards,

jörn

--
The handles of a craftsman's tools bespeak an absolute simplicity,
the plainest forms affording the greatest range of possibilities for

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)