[linux-audio-user] Jackstart - realtime capabilities issues

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 16 22:21:30 EST 2004

>From Robert Jonsson on Monday, 2004-02-16 at 22:51:55 +0100:
> Hi Rachel,
>
> måndagen den 16 februari 2004 22.31 skrev RachelAPP:
> > I knew i'd come back with more questions sooner or later...!
> >
> > OK, here's my setup:
> > Debian
> > Kernel 2.4.22
> > Terratec DMX6 Fire (working properly with Alsa driver now - at least, i can
> > record with Audacity)
> > Evolution MC225C Midi controller (plugged into my Terratec Midi input)
> > My computer is a AMD 2400XP, 512 MB RAM
> >
> > I haven't installed Linux myself on my computer - a friend did it and
> > explained to me what he was doing while he was doing it but obviously, i
> > might not know everything about my setup. We installed it starting with
> > Knoppix then upgraded it to Debian. We tried to install the Kernel 2.6
> > afterwards but it doesn't boot, probably due to a video card error because
> > the screen actually goes blank even though i can hear the hard drive is
> > working.

I am very interested in your success or failure, because my set-up
is similar.  I am using Knoppix-2003-11-14 with many updates, but
the kernel and alsa date from the original CD.  I have a cheap Hercules
sound card.

What works for you and what does not?

> > 2) should i upgrade to kernel 2.6?
>
> You should probably wait until 2.6 is more stable, all you need is there
> already.
>
> ...Though you may wish to recompile the kernel (or install a precompiled one)
> with low-latency patches enabled (if you don't have those already). I don't
> know what is available for debian, someone else might enlighten you.
>
> Another stumbling block may be audio drivers, atleast knoppix did previously
> only support the OSS audio drivers, since you upgraded to debian it might
> have fixed itself though.

Knoppix supports alsa since April 2003.  But you do not get it
automatically; you have to pass the boot option "knoppix alsa"
(without quotation marks), even today.  This situation will
change soon, since alsa is built into the 2.6 kernel.  Knoppix
will use 2.6 as the default kernel starting in March.

Conrad