[linux-audio-user] Advice needed re: latency tuning/optimization, esp. video

Chris Metzler cmetzler at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 17 16:51:05 EST 2004

On 16 Feb 2004 14:54:13 -0600
Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

> Agreed.  Your system should rock like crazy except for one leetle
> problem.  IRQ 9 is higher priority than IRQ 10 so every time you get
> disk activity you're probably dropping audio.

Yeah, that's what I would have *expected* -- so I was really surprised
when the latency tests didn't work out that way.  Playing PCM audio
while writing, then copying, a 1.5 GB file (half again as large as my
RAM, so can't RAM-cache it), with my disk over 90% full, still produced
what I *think* (if I'm understanding all this correctly) are pretty
good numbers (100% within 1ms of the fragment latency).  But I do plan
on tinkering with this, especially if the performance is troublesome
when I start doing real stuff.

But while the disk results looked good, the graphics results weren't
very . . .

-c

Chris Metzler			cmetzler at speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)