[linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Feb 17 20:57:05 EST 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Dan Harper hat gesagt: // Dan Harper wrote:
>

>>>For soundcards RME and M-Audio are youre best bet, avoid USB if you can.
>>>The processor doesnt really matter, but you probably want something with
>>>decent floating point performance, so a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP. You want
>>>512+ MB of ram.
>>
>>This is interesting...  What would be a solution for a laptop where
>>PCMCIA is not available?
>

> USB is not that bad. It's broken by design, but still it works rather
> well.  No one with a sane mind would buy a RME PCMCIA card just for
> stereo or 4 channel output. But avoid M-Audio USB devices. Many of
> them don't work at all on Linux.

If you have some time and don't mind doing a bit of work with the alsa
developers team then I would go for a firewire device. They are getting
very good feedback.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM