[linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 03:51:27 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:27:46AM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > Get someone to support one of the many firewire devices under ALSA ;)
>
> This is something I'm looking forward to __greatly__. Access to firewire
> devices would accelerate my own usage computers in a live situation (and
> recording for that matter). I'd like to help but it looks like no one really
> knows in which direction we shall proceed.

A good start might be for the ALSA developers to ask for Firewire 410
specs from M-Audio - assuming they have the time and inclination to work
on firewire drivers ontop of everything else they do.

> I guess mLan is the answer, though I'm not sure about the question :)

mLan could be the answer, but sadly there are a lot of non-standard
firewire audio interfaces, and all the mLan ones are quite expensive
AFAICT. We do now have an offer of (complete) mLan specs from yamaha, and
they may have someone working on it allready (they weren't clear on that).

- Steve