[linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?

Julien Pierre madbrain at rawbw.com
Wed Feb 18 04:36:15 EST 2004

Steve,

Steve Harris wrote:

>As Frank pointed out most USB devices will /work/, I said "avoid USB if
>you can" because theres not much point using USB if you have PCI slots
>free.

It's true that many PCI soundcards have better capabilities than their
USB counterparts. And at certain levels (multichannel in particular),
the throughput exceeds USB 1.0 and you would need a USB 2.0 high-speed
USB sound device to match that.

However, besides the obvious portability advantage of USB devices, there
is one other interesting feature of USB audio, which is to isolate the
A/D and D/A converters outside the generally noisy computer case, and
this can provide higher audio quality than an internal PCI device. But
only the higher-end USB devices would really have that advantage. I have
used some low-end ones that were just as noisy as the first ISA
Soundblaster 1.0 (Edirol UA-1A if you must know).