[linux-audio-user] offline processing

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Feb 18 10:27:19 EST 2004

>>If oyu particularly want to use offline processing I would recommend you
>>look at ecasound, but it has a bit of a learning curve.

To answer the question about ecasound using LADSPA plugins... the answer
(and example below) says yes (I think I actually tried it in the past).

Usually, I'll actually try out an example before I send to this list.
But I just have too many projects right now to look up the
LADSPA-specifc info that the following article points you to. But with
the following information, I beleive a "direct to disk" (non-realtime)
processing of a file with LADSPA and ecasound would look like this...

ecasound -i:DrySound.wav -o:DrySound_WithEffect.wav
-el:plugin_unique_name,param-1,...,param-N'

(on my system... a three and a half minute, 16bit, 48000 mono file took
6 seconds to process the with a "built in" ecasound reverb. I'm assuming
a LADSPA plugin would be about the same)

There was some mention on the ecasound list suggesting using LADSPA
'unique id-number'. So you might want to try (as shown in the example at
the end of this email)...

ecasound -i:DrySound.wav -o:DrySound_WithEffect.wav
-eli:plugin_unique_number,param-1,...,param-N

   (-eli flag instead of -el)

Keep in mind that if the "dry" file (starting file) is 1 channel (mono)
file, and you want the resulting "effected" file to be mono also, you
need to specify it on the command line (otherwise it will produce a 2
channel (sterio) file by default (unless you have the ecasound "rc" file
set for 1 channel... but it defaults to 2 channel unless you've actually
changed the "rc" file with a text editor)...

ecasound -i:DryMono.wav -f:16,1,44100 -o:DryMono_WithEffect.wav
-eli:plugin_unique_number,param-1,...,param-N

(16 = 16bit... 1 = 1 channel... 44100 = 44100 sampling rate)

This following write up was from...
http://io.khm.de/~alex/HGKZ/Seminar24-25.1/doc/Seminar24-25.1-34.htm

But you'll want to start here for more info about ecasound...
Ecasound home site
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound

The write up...
LADSPA-PLUGINS

-el:plugin_unique_name,param-1,...,param-N

Ecasound supports LADSPA-effect plugins (Linux Audio Developer's Simple
Plugin API). Plugins are located in shared library (.so) files in
/usr/local/share/ladspa (configured in ecasoundrc(5)). One shared
library file can contain multiple plugin objects, but every plugin has a
unique plugin name. This name is used for selecting plugins. See
{HYPERLINK "http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad"} LAD mailing list web site
  for more info about LADSPA. Other useful sites are {HYPERLINK
"http://www.ladspa.org"} LADSPA home page   and {HYPERLINK
"http://www.ffem.org/gdam/ladspa-doc/ladspa.html"} LADSPA documentation .
-eli:plugin_unique_number,param-1,...,param-N

Same as above expect plugin's unique id-number is used. It is guaranteed
that these id-numbers are unique among all LADSPA plugins.