[linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

Matthew Allen matthew at lith.com
Wed Feb 18 17:30:58 EST 2004

	Ahh, funny you should ask this. I have been experimenting with
both Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org) and FVWM (http://www.fvwm.org)
under CCRMA (fedora). I originally went with fluxbox but, at least for
me, it actually had to much extra stuff (slit, tabs, icon bar). I really
only needed a root menu, hotkeys and a pager, after a bunch of looking
around I ended up with FVWM. Its learning curve is a bit daunting (this
is linux isn't it?) but that is sort of mitigated by 2 things: The sheer
amount of stuff you could do with it if you wanted, and the FVWM-themes
project (http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net)

	Don't let the initial desktop scare you away from FVWM, it's so
customizable you can make it look and work like pretty much any other WM
out there. As far as resources go, neither of these are CPU hogs (FVWM
does have some modules that potentially can eat up CPU). Installed FVWM
takes up a bit more diskspace (even more so when using the themes
package), but once again not enough space to warrant immediate
dismissal. Fluxbox is much more easy to manage and it only took me about
an hour 2 to get a theme that I liked and a full set of hotkeys and a
CCRMA menu (the auto-menu scripts in both WM packages don't seem to find
the CCRMA stuff, so you will have to edit by hand, relatively painless
in fluxbox, a bit more time intensive in FVWM.)

m.