[linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

rossen apostolov rossen at protein.osaka-u.ac.jp
Wed Feb 18 21:52:25 EST 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 16:58, Erik Steffl wrote:
>

>>   mc (in xterm) kicks ass (by default tab changes panels/widgets, esc
>>tab does autocompletion in all dialogs where the files/directories are used)
>>
>>	erik
>>

><hehe!!> Good old mc. I forgot about that. No stinking GUI. Just good
>old names.
>
>How do I do a drag & drop in mc?

I also once had a day devoted to digging out file managers with the
intention to find _the_ one. I asked a friend about his favourite file
browser
and he said it was " ls -l" . Eventually I agreed. Once you're used to
the terminal it feels unnatural to click-point-click, at least for
me.... and I found myslef
losing sense of what's where in the directories. But probably the
opposite is also true.

Mark, have you seen xnc: http://xnc.dubna.su/ ?
It's a guified mc with drag&drop.
also, xplore, http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag/xplore/
isn't bad at all although it looks a bit ugly until you play around with
it for a while

but definitely this fsv is a monster!!! I''ll probably never use it but
it's
awesome!!! I just showed it to a girl in the lab, a die-hard windows user,
and she striaght away wanted a version for her OS :)):))

-- rossen