[linux-audio-user] Re: cannot compile alsa for 2.6.2

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Feb 19 09:20:42 EST 2004

Tried symlinks in the alsa source directory. No change.

On Thursday 19 February 2004 13:55,
linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
> > Contrary to popular belief, this kernel does not "come with" these
> > built in!
>
> Last time I looked, it still did come with ALSA.  Which doesn't mean
> that it wasn't some obsolete version, so you might still want to
> compile ALSA separately.

The config file show nothing about ALSA at all. I would assume there would be
entries such as:
SND_******* y or m
Actually, modules are being loaded but they may be coming from the older
kernel. Alsa starts but the mixer fails to save or restore.
/proc/asounc/cards has nothing.

> > So following the instructions in:
> > http://www.linuxorbit.com/
> > modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541
> >&page=1 (compiling on kernel-headers), I attempted to compile. cpp fails
> > sanity check. I upgraded all the gcc stuff. Same.
>
> Does this still happen if you simply run "./configure" in the
> alsa-driver package?  If yes, what does configure.log say about this?

That rules thingie IS running ./configure. I get the exact same message.

The offender is this:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif

linux/limit.h does not exist. As I am compiling off HEADERS, I would expect
that the rules would define this directory as something. Usually, it is a
symlink to source. I suppose I could set this up myself--easy enough.

BTW, I tried to do this off source as well but got the same error. I did not
have the symlink.